Saturday, August 28, 2010

Nothing Great


Why hello there! Today I listened to one of my favorite songs...of. all. time. I hadn't listened to it in a few months and almost forgot that it is one of my favorites. I thought I would share the lyrics with you. They are written by a band called Late Tuesday. My cousin Marci introduced me to the band years ago. They are a Christian group from Bellingham, WA. I am in love with the lyrics. If you like them, look up the song on itunes because it's even more powerful with the music. The song is called "Nothing Great".


Nothing Great-Late Tuesday


Same old stuff i have to do

over and over and over again

each day it seems

Nothing great to show off my abilities and my worth

Show me my purpose

in the midst of this routine


Because I am trying to understand why I am here at all

with so many guesses and

too many simple answers


could it be that life is not what I think at all?

It's not the big things

but the ordinary in-between


and


Maybe this is not the time to be waiting for

any better reason to be glad that I'm alive

at all

So help me take this day

each simple thing that I must do to

bring glory to you.


And I could search out a lot of ways

to keep me doing things

an attempt to make my mark


but then maybe I'd miss the mark of your desire for me.


So I will trust in you

and in everything I do

do it

as

for

you.


And I am learning to understand why I am here at all.

There's no need for guesses when

you are the simple answer.


And you show me that life is not what i think at all

it's not the big things but the ordinary in-between


and maybe this is not the time

to be waiting for

any better reason to be glad that I'm alive

at all


so help me take this day

each simple thing that I must do

to bring glory to you.


We can take each day

each simple thing that we must do

to bring glory to you.



So I thought I would write about a bunch of little things that happened this week…nothing big :)


Cupcakes: So once I experimented and mixed pudding in with my cake batter and baked it and it turned out AMAZING. So I decided this week that I would be a good little visiting teacher and bake cupcakes for the girls that I visit. I even bought these cute pink and purple cupcake liners with white polka dots and borrowed the pans from my neighbor. I mixed pudding in with the cake batter and baked the cupcakes and….they sunk in the middle!! It looked like a big crater was in the center of every one of my cupcakes. Well…they tasted great but I was too embarrassed about them to bring them to anyone. So we kept them around and whenever people came over and asked what they were I pretended that they were supposed to be like that and we started calling them "Crater Cakes". Bahaha. I'm a dork.


She & Him Concert: If you haven't heard of the band She & Him, it is comprised of the actress/singer Zooey Deschanel from the movie 500 Days of Summer and the musician M. Ward. They are just fabulous. I went with some good friends and then ran into some familiar faces while I was there. Free concert. It was a hippie fest. I loved it. There were so many great food stands there, really culturally diverse and it was hard to choose because I love trying new types of food. I went with Tibetan food and it was sooooo yummy.


Temple: So one night this week I was sitting outside and realized that a beautiful sunset was about to take place and without really thinking I grabbed my scriptures, jumped into my car and drove to the Provo Temple which is approximately 3 minutes away from my house. (I know, I know, it's amazing to have it so close to me). I just sat on a bench outside and meditated. Ah it was so peaceful and I just love the temple! I wish I could live inside of it. Seriously.


Computer: I bought a Macbook! I have been contemplating this purchase for quite a while now and finally decided that I was just going to do it. It was the most expensive item I have ever purchased, except for my tuition, of course. LIfe is too short not to have some of the things that you want :) And I got a great deal on it at the BYU Bookstore. I can't stop using it!!


Sick: I caught a cold this week which seems to be going around. So on my day off I didn't feel like going anywhere or doing anything. But I didn't' want to just sit around at home. So I deep cleaned my house. I'm talking, scrubbing floors and showers, washing walls, using WD 40 in various places, re arranging furniture and pictures on the walls, pulling out the screw driver to do some repairs, etc. I realized during this excursion that I become attention deficit when I take on a big project. I would start one thing and then when I would get up to get something from another room, I would notice something else that needed to be done. So I would start doing that. And the cycle continued until I was cleaning all of the rooms a little at a time. I'm glad that no one else was here because the process probably would have been annoying. But, it looked way good when I was done! I also discovered that the smell of WD 40 reminds me of my dad :) Being home alone all day was strange, and it got me thinking, "Is it bad to be alone? Would I start to be weird if I was home alone all of the time? What about stay-at-home mothers who only have little babies around who can't talk? Do they start going crazy?". I literally did not have any human contact until my room mate came home at 11pm. I listened to music a lot but I spent quite a bit of time in silence lol. It made me think of the song "It isn't good to be alone, it isn't good. So if you find someone to love you really should…." But I dunno, is too much time alone bad? Just curious what you think.


Work: Most of the time my job just flat-out rocks. Today I got to work at 6 am and woke up the girls (I work in a residential treatment center, in case you didn't know already), the got dressed, grabbed breakfast and then I drove 10 of them in a big white van north to a military camp where we did all kinds of cool things. We broke into teams and had to overcome different obstacles…and then we repelled down a 75 ft wall! I was SO excited to do it. I got harnessed in and then while I walked up the stairs to the top of the wall I got nervous. Then the military guy told me it was my turn and i changed my mind and wanted to go back down the stairs but he grabbed onto my harness and hooked me up to the rope anyway...laughing at me! And he pulled me over to the edge. So i just did it even though I was scared out of my mind.


Well that was my week! It was a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Provo, Utah, United States